The mission of the VWAA is to assist women attorneys in developing their professional practice and in achieving their potential, to bring about changes in the law and to affect public policy for the benefit of the women of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The VWAA was formed in 1981 to advance the interests of women attorneys in Virginia, to encourage their mutual improvement and social interaction, and to promote the interests of women under law. The VWAA remains the only statewide bar association dedicated to the needs of women attorneys in Virginia as professionals and as women.
- VWAA supports legislation that promotes the interests of women in the workplace through
- Prevention of gender discrimination in the workplace;
- Prevention of sexual harassment in the workplace.
- Increasing remedies available in protective orders for victims of family abuse and increasing criminal penalties for family abuse;
- Protection of victims of human trafficking and increasing penalties for human trafficking.
- Funding for legal aid services;
- Increasing compensation for counsel for indigent criminal defendants
- Increasing compensation for guardians ad litem;
- Promoting a funded judiciary and administration, including full funding for judges and clerks.